Module 1: Personal Survival Techniques (PST):
Course Name: Basic Safety Training (BST)
Duration : 12 Days
Fees : ₹14,000/-
Buy Course Online
The STCW Basic Safety Training Course (BST) is a 12-day certification course that is considered the minimum mandatory requirement for all seafarers who intend to work onboard commercial vehicles over 24 meters.
The STCW Course for Basic Safety Training in Mumbai familiarizes seafarers with life and hazards at sea and equips them with the awareness, skills, and knowledge required to ensure safe working conditions and appropriately respond to emergency situations onboard.
The BST course provides competence in basic safety skills through a combination of four courses – Elementary First Aid (EFA), Personal Survival Techniques (PST), Fire Prevention & Fire-Fighting (FPFF), and Personal Safety & Social Responsibility (PSSR). Students learn various aspects of basic safety training, including first aid, safety and emergency procedures, hazard prevention, usage of safety equipment, fire prevention and extinguishing, and survival at sea in case of emergency.
The course is mandated under the Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping (STCW) Code as determined by the International Maritime Organization (IMO). The STCW Basic Safety Training Course certification is valid for five years, post which seafarers are required to update their proficiency in personal survival techniques and fire prevention & firefighting with refresher courses every five years.
Module 2: Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FPFF):
- Types of Emergency Situations.
- Life-Saving Appliances.
- Use of Survival Crafts.
- Personal Protective Equipment.
- Principles of Survival.
- How to survive in the water when required to abandon ship.
- Operation of Location Devices.
Module 3: Elementary First Aid (EFA):
- Fire Theory.
- Sources & Types of Ignitions.
- Location of Fire-Fighting Equipment and Fire Escape Routes.
- Alarm and Detection Systems.
- Responding to Fire Emergencies.
- Firefighting Outfits, Equipment, and Methods.
- Portable Extinguishers.
- How to Extinguish Various Different Types of Fires.
- Breathing Apparatus.
- Rescue and Evacuation.
Module 4: Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (PSSR):
- Immediate First Aid in the event of an accident or injury.
- Measures to take during emergencies.
- Casualty Positioning.
- Resuscitation Techniques.
- How to control bleeding.
- Basic Shock Management.
- Treatment of Burns, Scalds, and Electric Shocks.
- Measures to rescue and transport a casualty.
- Types of Emergencies.
- Shipboard Contingency Plans.
- Escape Routes.
- Actions to take in Emergency Situations.
- Knowledge of Marine Environment.
- Prevention of Pollution.
- Safe Working Practices.
- Effective Communication.
- Maintaining Good Human Relationships.
- Social Responsibilities.
- Causes and Effects of Stress and Fatigue.
- Importance of Rest.
- The STCW Basic Training Course is required for all seafarers intending to work onboard commercial ships.
- INDOS Number is Mandatory.
- A Minimum SSC Pass qualification is desirable.
- All candidates must be medically fit and in good physical and mental health.
- INDOS Number.
- CDC Number (If held).
- SSC Marksheet.
- Medical Fitness Certificate from DG-approved doctor.
- 2 Passport-sizes photographs.
Course Fees: ₹14,000/-.
Upon successful completion of the course, all candidates will be issued STCW EFA, STCW FPFF, STCW PSSR, and STCW PST certificates for the STCW Basic Safety Training Course after a short exit exam.
The Basic Safety Training Certificates for PST and FPFF modules are valid for five years, after which you will have to undergo the STCW Refresher Course.